The course is perfect for those who:
- have been considering adding affordable laser to the practice.
- are looking for a way to cut down on the use of anesthesia.
- want better surgical outcomes for your patients.
Learning Objectives of the Course:
1. Understand the physics behind diode laser energy and the target molecules of a diode laser.
2. Learn the tissue reactions to laser energy.
3. Have an understanding of the different wavelengths of laser energy and their uses in medicine and dentistry.
4. Know the regulations involved in the use of a laser instrument in providing surgical procedures.
5. Know the safety regulations regarding laser use in a public facility.
6. Be familiar with the following laser procedures and understand their indications and contraindications:
- Soft tissue canine exposure
Overview of the Course
This course is designed to familiarize the non-user or neophyte user of diode lasers with the overall physics, operation, logistical and safety requirements and clinical procedures that can be reasonably performed by a general practitioner within the scope of general dental practice.
The clinical portion of the course gives very detailed instructions and clinical examples of common laser procedures that might be encountered either within a general dental or orthodontic practice.
The hands-on portion of the course will allow the participants to practice laser techniques with a Gemini Diode Laser on pig mandibles to get a true feel for the cutting mechanism of a diode laser on soft tissue. Although close to replicating the experience on a human patient it does not exactly replicate the tissue of a human.
8-8:10 am - Introduction
8:10-9:30 am – Laser physics, regulation, tissue effects, safety measures
9:30-9:45 am - Break
9:45-11:45 am Clinical procudures – gingivectomy, frenectomy, operculectomy, canine exposure
11:45 am- 1 pm Lunch
1-1:30 pm Management of complications
1:30-3 pm Practical exercise with pig mandibles
$179 GDA members
Disclaimer: Dr. Harrell is not affiliated with Ultradent (the manufacturer of the Gemini Laser) and receives no compensation, financial or otherwise, from Ultradent.
This course does not substitute for initial laser certification for diode lasers as promoted by the Academy of Laser Dentistry or the World Clinical Laser Institute.